Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Move dammit!


Yesterday I implemented the ability to double click on the terrain and have the avatar go there. It's something that users have been requesting for some time. I've put it on the back burner because I'm myself so used to moving by using mouselook and wasd, and I was hoping that it would be one of those simple things that aspiring developers could tackle to better getting to know the code. All of the functionality already existed in both Eris and Cyphesis, I just hadn't done the connecting. So in the end it took no more then 20 minutes to implement it. Double clicking in the world now makes the avatar move.
The mouse picking system is very flexible and extensible. This flexibility is what allows us to react differently when the user clicks on an entity to when clicking and dragging a world base point in terrain editing mode. It's also what makes an addition such as this so easy. Ember development sometimes feels frustrating because so much work has been put into making base architecture and functionality, without any obvious "external" improvements. But it feels good that at least some of that work pays off. :)

No comments: