Monday, June 11, 2007

The areas of my expertise

I went away over the weekend so I didn't have much time for Ember, but I did manage to fix another one of those things that have been bugging me for a while.
While Ember has supported areas for a while, it hasn't allowed for dynamic updating, either of changes to the area itself, or the position of the parent entity. So yesterday I set out to try to rectify this. Turned out that it was really simple to make that happen. Some new events on the TerrainArea class, some listening glue and some TerrainGenerator logic later it all worked. It's now possible to edit an area on the fly and see the updates directly. The area will also be moved when the entity is moved.

In addition to that, I finally found and fixed a bug in the EntityEditor which made refreshing take ~5 seconds. That's quite the leap from the 0.02 seconds it used to take, so I was a bit perplexed by what might cause it. Turned out that I had accidentally created a int-wrapping loop, which looped from 1 to 2^32. Oh well...

In other news, Ogre 1.4.2 was released today. No major changes as far as I can see, but this version will contain a fixed OGRE.pc file, which will make Ember's configure.ac work as it should.
Post a Comment